Independence Parks & Rec. Dept.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
The Independence Parks and Recreation Department is a team of professionals committed to facilitating the growth and development of recreational opportunities, as well as managing the care and upkeep of park land in the Independence area. Through continued efforts, we will promote and improve our present activities and facilities to enrich the quality of life and pride in our community.
Tue Nov. 14 - Sat Mar. 31
Mon Feb. 5 - Thu May 31
Mon Feb. 19 - Thu Mar. 29
Registration is NOW being accepted for all upcoming IPRD Summer Ball Leagues (T-Ball, Coach-Pitch, Minors & Majors)... Register at the Falcon Civic Center!!!
Falcon Civic Center HOURS
(November 1st- March 31st, 2018)
Monday- Thursday 5:00am- 9:00pm
Friday 5:00am- 8:00pm
Saturday 8:00am- 4:00pm
Sunday 12:00pm- 4:00pm
River'sEDGE Sport & Fitness HOURS
Monday- Friday 3:30- 9:00pm
Saturday 10:00am- 4:00pm
Sunday 12:00pm- 6:00pm
Click on NOTIFY ME on the www.independenceia.org Home Page and follow the steps to receive our Parks & Recreation REC Connect Monthly Newsletter sent directly to you.
The Independence Parks & Recreation Department is ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS for summer employment!!!
- Summer Positions include: Parks (mowers, trimmers & landscaping), Complex (ball field maintenance and game prep), Concessions Attendants, Aquatic Center (management, lifeguards, water slide attendants, concessions attendants, admissions desk). Applications are available at the Falcon Civic Center and on this website. The City of Independence is an equal opportunity employer.
- We HIRE Lifeguards for the 2018 Aquatic Season at the Independence Aquatic Center. MUST be at least 15 years of age by the end of the class. Lifeguard Certification Classes offered at THE W at Wartburg College in Waverly http://www.the-w.org/cert.aspx and at UNI Wellness and Recreation Center on the UNI Campus in Cedar Falls https://recreation.uni.edu/lifeguard
HitTRAX is at River'sEDGE... Try it Out!!!
HitTrax is the world's only baseball/ softball simulator!!
Visit: www.hittraxbaseball.com Call Bob at 319-334-6711 for details.
HitTrax may be reserved for $12.00 per hour + $1.00 admission per person. Call River'sEDGE @ 319-332-1525 to reserve the cage with system!!
At this point, we are still looking to add a variety of accessories to the HitTRAX System and because of that we are still accepting donations. Details are available by calling Bob Beatty @ 319-332-1525.
River'sEDGE Travel Baseball Pre-Season Practices:
Every Monday- until we are able to move outdoors
11U River'sEDGE Baseball- 5-6pm @ River'sEDGE ($1.00 per time)
10U River'sEDGE Baseball- 6-7pm @ River'sEDGE ($1.00 per time)
12U River'sEDGE Baseball- 7-8:30pm @ River'sEDGE ($1.00 per time)
13U River'sEDGE Baseball- 7-8:30pm @ River'sEDGE ($3.00 per time)
IPRD information below...
- Fitness Instructor, Janet Buls, will NOT run any fitness classes from March 19th- April 30th. Thank you in advance for your understanding.
- ROCFIT: Current Session has 1 week remaining. FREE TRIAL CLASSES offered on Tuesday, April 3rd & Thursday, April 5th at 4:30am & 5:30am each day. Just show up at River'sEDGE and give it a try!! Our next 6 week session begins on Monday, April 9th and will run for 6 weeks total. Classes are held Monday- Thursday at 4:30am or 5:30am at River'sEDGE. The cost is $150 per person for the entire 6-week session. The price will decrease by $25 each week the class is offered. The Instructor for this class, would like to inform anyone interested that the class fees may be paid on a payment plan. ROCFIT is a program designed to train an individual of any age, male or female, regardless of athletic ability transforming them into a high level athlete. Tiffany Thoma is our coach and can be reached at 319-404-5453 to answer any questions you may have.
- 2ND & 3RD GRADE BASEBALL/ SOFTBALL SPRING TRAINING: Stations will be set-up to be used to improve basic baseball/ softball technique including live hitting, soft toss, and tee work, throwing, catching , and fielding in the cages. 2 session remaining- Meets Thursdays on 3/22 & 3/29 from 3:45-4:30pm (Boys Baseball) and 4:45-5:30pm (Girls Softball). Participants should dress comfortably with tennis shoes, bring their glove, a helmet if they have one and a bat if they have one they would like to use.
- We are currently accepting registrations for all IPRD Summer Ball Leagues (T-Ball, Coach-Pitch, Minors and Majors) at the Falcon Civic Center and the registration deadline is April 16th, 2018.
- REGISTRATION FOR PROGRAMS, SEASON PASSES, GROUPS LESSONS & SWIM TEAM AT THE INDEPENDENCE AQUATIC CENTER BEGINS ON MONDAY, APRIL 2nd @ THE FALCON CIVIC CENTER.
- AEROBICS: Instructor, Janet Buls, will NOT run any fitness classes from March 19th- April 30th. Thank you in advance for your understanding.
- Main's Peak Performance Tae Kwon Do is offered monthly at River'sEDGE. Classes meet on Mondays & Thursdays from 4:45-6:00pm. Our Instructor is Black Belt Tim Main. Cost is $30 per month for 1 child, $50 per month for 2 children and $70 per month for 3 children from the same family. The monthly fee is due by the 5th day of each month or a $4.00 fee will be charged per participant per time until the monthly fee has been settled.
- For up-to-date information concerning the facilities we run, the programs we offer and the classes we provide, please LIKE our FACEBOOK PAGES: https://www.facebook.com/indeeparksandrec/ https://www.facebook.com/riversedgesportfitness/ https://www.facebook.com/independenceaquaticcenter/