INDEPENDENCE PARKS & REC...
Our Mission Statement
The Independence Parks and Recreation Department is a team of professionals committed to facilitating the growth and development of recreational opportunities, as well as managing the care and upkeep of park land in the Independence area. Through continued efforts, we will promote and improve our present activities and facilities to enrich the quality of life and pride in our community.
** Staff & Patrons of our facilities are required to wear a mask if you are unable to maintain 6ft of distance for longer than 15minutes.
Out of an abundance of caution, we have made the difficult decision to cancel the "Just for Kids" Holiday Store this year.
FALCON CIVIC CENTER: Lowest membership rates in Buchanan County: ONE YEAR- Family $175/ Adult $130/ Student $100/ Senior $100// 6 MONTH- Family $100/ Adult $80/ Student $65/ Senior $65// 3 MONTH- Family $65/ Adult $50/ Student $40/ Senior $40 These memberships include weight room, gym, sauna, racquetball, locker room, and gameroom with social distancing guidelines, hand washing, hand sanitizer, and safety precautions in place. For High School Students following hybrid models or online learning, the Falcon Civic Center weight room is open and fairly empty during the day if students would like to come in to get their PE and Strength & Conditioning done :) See pricing above.
River’sEDGE Members w/ 24 Hour Access... If you bring a guest anytime ($3)/ If you bring a member (without a key fob) outside of staffed hours ($1)/ Remember to pick up balls, shut off and unplug the orange cord on HitTrax, and shut off lights when you are there outside of staffed hours/ If you need help on HitTrax or ProBatter please set a time for a refresher course!
All of our facilities are enforcing and encouraging social distance and remind you to please stay home if you or someone in your household is sick.
Things continue to change and we will adapt as needed. Please be sure to follow safety guidelines from Public Health and the CDC found online. Thank you.
PLEASE READ... For UP-TO-DATE information regarding the Independence Parks & Recreation Department, our facilities & buildings, programs, leagues, special events, clinics & classes we offer, please contact our office at 319-334-6711 or LIKE US on Facebook. PLEASE NOTE: The Information on Google is NOT up-to-date information. FOR YOUR INFORMATION... If you are going to use Google as your search engine, please make sure you actually click on our links to obtain the most up-to-date information including hours of operation. Google does not accurately post our hours of operation or other valuable information. The Independence Parks & Recreation Department reserves the right to add, modify, postpone, or cancel programs, leagues, classes, special events, and facilities operation we offer due to weather conditions, equipment malfunction, lack of enrollment, and/or other circumstances.
2021 Independence Parks & Recreation Department Activity Book:
A huge thank you to Carly Wayne of C23 Graphic Design as we work together to put out an amazing 2021 IPRD Activities Book. Our goal is to have it available to the public before the first of the year.
If you are a fitness instructor and would like to offer classes with the Independence Parks & Recreation Department, please contact our Department at 319-334-6711. We would be happy to sit down and discuss options!!!
WORKING ON IMPROVEMENTS...
The Parks & Recreation Department has many projects in the works including: remodel/ update of the Baseball/ Softball Complex womens restroom and concessions stand, adding of a 5th field at the Complex, installing a playground at the Complex, 24hr key fob access at the Falcon Civic Center, modifications to various pitching machines at River’sEDGE, remodel of the racquetball court at the Falcon Civic Center into a kids zone, and transformation of the current game room into a much needed cardio workout room, Thanks to all of the Parks & Rec Staff who have worked hard to get many projects done!! Pictures posted on Facebook throughout very stages of completion. Stay tuned... more to come!!!
Falcon Civic Center HOURS
Monday- Thursday 5am- 9pm
Friday 5am- 8pm
Saturday 8am- 4pm
Sunday 12noon- 4pm
Please call 319-334-6711 Monday- Friday between 8am- 4pm to book room rentals at the Falcon Civic Center If you call outside of those hours, please leave your name and a contact phone number for our secretary, Judy. She will return your call.
Staffed Hours: Monday, Wednesday & Thursday 3:30-8pm, Saturday & Sunday 10am- 4pm
24HR Access is available with memberships. Call 319-332-1525 for info.
Please call ahead (319-332-1525) for cage rentals
Please call 319-332-1525 for information on membership opportunities, classes, clinics, and lessons offered, rental availability, and/or to reserve cages including HitTRAX & ProBatter!!
Financial Assistance Opportunities...
It is our GOAL & PRIORITY to ensure that EVERY child who would like to participate in the Parks & Rec programs we offer has every OPPORTUNITY to do so. If you express a financial need and qualify under the State of Iowa Income Guidelines, you may be eligible for assistance. Please complete and submit the Financial Assistance Form (available at the Falcon Civic Center) (must be completed yearly) along with a copy of your previous year's income tax return to the IPRD Director for approval. Approval takes place Monday- Friday from 8am-3:30pm and will take at least 1 business day to process. Please plan accordingly. Thank you.
IPRD Sponsorship Opportunities
- $300- Complex Advertisement (Wrap on a 4’x8’ sign)
- $100- Complex Advertisement (RENEWAL)
- $150- Advertisement Banner at River’sEDGE (2’x3’)
- $75- Advertisement Banner at River’sEDGE (RENEWAL)
- $75- Logo on River’sEDGE Walking Track
- $50- Logo on River’sEDGE Walking Track (RENEWAL)
Forms available via email or by pick-up at the Falcon Civic Center and River’sEDGE. Email your request for a form to email@example.com
- Memberships at the Falcon Civic Center... MANY Options Available & we have the lowest rates around!!! One Year, 6 Month & 3 Month Memberships... Featuring: Weight Room, Sauna, Meeting Rooms, Gym w/ 6 basketball hoops, Locker Rooms, Racquetball Court, Kitchen, Cardio Equipment. Improvements have already begun and there are more to come including 24-Hour Access, Cardio Room, Kids Zone, new paint, new flooring, additional weight machines, and some remodeling.
- River'sEDGE... We have seen MANY improvements over the year including a new leak-proof roof, 3 additional cages to bring our total to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6 cages available for rent, projection televisions, ProBatter (pitching simulator), and a 24-Hour Access key fob system available for members. We have instructors available for private lessons, please call Lucas at 319-332-1525 and he can put you in touch with the right person. We have extended hours- 7 days per week... call ahead (319-332-1525), reserve a cage, and get some cuts in!!! Put the work in and get better!!
- Main's Peak Performance TaeKwonDo- Per the Governor's Proclamation, Classes are postponed thru December 10th... New Class Format, like us on facebook for more information as it become available. Offered monthly at River'sEDGE. Classes will meet on Mondays & Thursdays from 5-6pm. Our Instructor is Master Tim Main. Cost is $25 per student per month (No family discounts) or $5.00 drop-in per student per time. The monthly fee is due by the 5th day of each month or a $5.00 fee will be charged per participant per time until the monthly fee has been settled. Register and pay at River'sEDGE. Covid precautions are in place for this class. Reminder: All participants must sign in at the front desk at River'sEDGE prior to each and every class attended. Thank you.
- Cross Training Strength/ Cardio Combo Classes- Per the Governor's Proclamation, Classes are postponed thru December 10th...
Classes are offered on M-W-F from 5:45-6:30am at the Falcon Civic Center. Focus will include some cardio (not always on the bench) & intervals of strength training. All levels of fitness are welcome. Instructor, Janet Buls, works with the class and moves at each individual's pace, so everyone is successful. Cost is $30 per month of $4 drop-in until the max class limit of 11 is reached. Reminder: Please check with your physician before beginning this or any exercise program. We are always looking for instructors to teach new and different fitness classes, If you have an idea or suggestion on what you would like to see offered, please contact the IPRD @ 319-334-6711.
- River'sEDGE Thursday Bags League- Per the Governor's Proclamation, Classes are postponed thru December 10th...
RE is hosting a Bags League on Thursday Nights November 19th- December 17th from 6-9pm at River'sEDGE. Men, Women, Coed, all combos of teams are welcome to play. This league will feature flexible scheduling, adult beverages, concessions, football of the big screens and a relaxed and fun atmosphere. The cost is $20 per team of 2 players. Sign-up by calling Lucas @ 319-332-1525 prior to November 19th. NOTE: If your team played in the Bags League in March that was cut short due to COVID, you may play in this Bags League Session FREE of Charge.
- ROCFIT- Per the Governor's Proclamation, Classes are postponed thru December 10th...
Classes will begin on Monday, November 16th and run Monday- Thursday at 5-6am until December 28th at River'sEDGE. Come ready to sweat. Hand Sanitizing Station and will be available. Masks are recommended when social distancing cannot be maintained. If you are sick, have someone sick in your household, or have been around someone who is sick, please stay home. Cost is $125 for 4 times per week or $75 for 2 times per week. Contact: Instructor Tiffany @ 319-404-5453.
- 1st & 2nd Grade Basketball- Per the Governor's Proclamation, Classes are postponed thru December 10th...
will continue to meet on Tuesday, November 17th (Instruction) & Tuesday, November 24th (In-house Games). Registered 1st Graders will meet from 5:30-6:15pm, Open Gym for 1st & 2nd Graders from 6:15-6:45pm, and Registered 2nd Graders will meet from 7-7:45pm at the Falcon Civic Center Gym. Spectators must wear a mask and maintain social distance. Please Stay home if you are sick or if someone in household is sick.
- IPRD 3rd & 4th Grade Boys Basketball- Per the Governor's Proclamation, Classes are postponed thru December 10th...
Teams have been assembled, practices have begun and the 1st games of the season will be played Saturday, November 14th beginning at 9am. This season will play games on Saturday Mornings through December 19th at the Falcon Civic Center. Weekly schedules will be posted on Facebook and are also available by calling 319-334-6711.
- Letters to Santa The IPRD will place a very special mailbox at the Falcon Civic Center for children of all ages to drop their Letters to Santa in for delivery to the North Pole. All letters need to have a legible return address on them so Santa can send a letter back to the child. The mailbox will be at the FCC and Letters to Santa will be accepted from December 1st- 16th. ATTENTION HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS: This is a great opportunity for Silver Cord Hours, please contact Ange @ 319-334-6711 if you are interested and would like to discuss details.
- For up-to-date information concerning the facilities we run, the programs we offer and the classes we provide, please LIKE our FACEBOOK PAGES: https://www.facebook.com/indeeparksandrec/ https://www.facebook.com/riversedgesportfitness/ https://www.facebook.com/independenceaquaticcenter