Our Mission Statement
The Independence Parks and Recreation Department is a team of professionals committed to facilitating the growth and development of recreational opportunities, as well as managing the care and upkeep of park land in the Independence area. Through continued efforts, we will promote and improve our present activities and facilities to enrich the quality of life and pride in our community.
FYI... For the most UP-TO-DATE information regarding the Independence Parks & Recreation Department (IPRD), our facilities, buildings, programs, leagues, special events, clinics & classes we offer, please contact our office directly @ 319-334-6711 or LIKE US on Facebook. PLEASE NOTE: Information is constantly changing from our many original publications. The information on Google may NOT be up-to-date information. If you are going to use Google as your search engine, please make sure you actually click on our links to obtain the most up-to-date information including hours of operation and fees. Google does not always accurately post our hours of operation or other valuable information. The Independence Parks & Recreation Department (IPRD) reserves the right to add, remove, modify, postpone, or cancel programs, leagues, classes, special events, and facilities operations we offer due to but not limited to weather conditions, equipment malfunction, lack of enrollment, and/or other foreseen and unforeseen circumstances. Thank you in advance for your cooperation and understanding.
IPRD Sponsorship Opportunities
- $300 Complex Advertisement (Wrap on a 4’x8’ sign)
- $100 Complex Advertisement RENEWAL
- $150 Advertisement Banner at River’sEDGE (2’x3’)
- $75 Advertisement Banner RENEWAL at River’sEDGE
- $75 Logo on River’sEDGE Walking Track
- $50 Logo RENEWAL on River’sEDGE Walking Track
- $50 IPRD Activities Guide (1/4" page ad)
- $50 Flag Football Team Sponsor
Forms available here, via email or by pick-up at the Falcon Civic Center and River’sEDGE. Email your request for a form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Falcon Civic Center HOURS
SEPTEMBER - OCTOBER
Monday- Thursday 5am- 8pm
Friday 5am- 7pm
Saturday 10am- 4pm
Call 319-334-6711 Monday- Friday between 8am- 4pm to book room rentals at the Falcon Civic Center. 24HR Access to the Falcon Civic Center is available to yearly members~ call 319-334-6711 for details!!
SEPTEMBER - OCTOBER
Monday & Tuesday 3:30- 8pm
Thursday 3:30- 8pm
Friday & Saturday Closed
Sunday 10am- 4pm
Call 319-332-1525 for information on memberships, 24HR access available for members, classes, clinics, private lessons, room rental availability, team practices, and/or to reserve cages!!
Financial Assistance Opportunities...
It is our GOAL to ensure that EVERY child who wants to participate in the Parks & Recreation programs we offer, has every OPPORTUNITY to do so. If you express a financial need and qualify under the State of Iowa Income Guidelines, you may be eligible for assistance. Please complete and submit the Financial Assistance Form (available at the Falcon Civic Center) (must be completed annually) along with a copy of your previous year's income tax return to the IPRD Director for approval. Approval takes place Monday- Friday from 8am-3:30pm and will take at least 1 business day to process. Please plan accordingly. Thank you.
- Kindergarten-1st Grade/ 2nd-3rd Grade & 4th-6th Grade Flag Football- Games are played on Thursday evenings at the Complex. Volunteer Coaches will run their own practices through the season. Kindergarten/ 1st Grade: 5:15-6pm (9/16- 10/14), 2nd/3rd Grade: 6:15-7pm (9/23- 10/28), 4th-6th Grade: 7-7:45pm & 7:45- 8:30pm (9/23- 10/28). High School Students will be officiating the 2nd- 6th grade games this season.
- River'sEDGE Fall Baseball & Softball Leagues are underway at the Independence Baseball/ Softball Complex on Saturdays and Sundays now- early October. Come on out, grab a burger and catch a game!!!
- Annual Fall Craft & Vendor Show will be held on Saturday, October 16th from 9am- 3pm at the Falcon Civic Center. Admission is FREE to the public and everyone is welcome to attend!! Limited Booth Space still available, Contact Angie @ 319-334-6711
- Main's Peak Performance TaeKwonDo- Like Us on Facebook @ Main's Peak Performance of Independence. Little Dragons (4-6 year olds) meet 4:30-5pm & 7 yrs and older will warm-up @ 4:45pm and class will run 5-6pm @ River'sEDGE. Classes meet on Mondays & Thursdays @ the times listed above @ River'sEDGE/ Cost is $25 per child per month. Feel free to try a class or check it out~ Thank you- Master Main.
- Cross Training Strength/ Cardio Combo Classes... Classes are offered on M-W-F from 5:45-6:30am at the Falcon Civic Center. Focus includes cardio & intervals of strength training. All levels of fitness are welcome. Instructor, Janet Buls. Cost is $30 per month of $4 drop-in until the max class limit of 11 is reached. Reminder: Please check with your physician before beginning this or any exercise program.
- Pumpkin Decorating Contest... Be creative, pumpkins can be carved, colored, painted, whatever!! Direct Message Independence Parks & Recreation Department a picture (include name and age) of you with your pumpkin by October 31st and winners will be announced on Nov. 2nd. Winners will receive "sweet treats" from an area business still to be named. 3 Categories: Most Creative, Silliest Face, Scariest Face and the Age Groups will be 5 & under, 6-11 years, 12 & up
- YOGA... Class taught by Janet Buls for 7-weeks (13 classes) on Tuesdays & Thursdays from 6-6:45pm from October 5th- November 18th at the Falcon Civic Center. No class on November 2nd due to the election. Tuesday classes will be focused on power and energizing movements while Thursday classes will be more focused on flexibility and de-stress. Mats are available but feel free to bring your own if you like. Cost: $40 oer $4 per time. Register by calling 319-334-6711 and pay at the Falcon Civic Center.
- ROCFIT CLASSES... Get ROC'D!! A perfect balance of kickboxing and weight training. This class will help you get lean and lose weight. FREE TRIAL Class will be Wednesday, October 6th from 5am- 6am at River'sEDGE. 6-week session will begin on Monday, October 11th and end on Thursday, November 18th. Classes meet Monday- Thursday from 5-6am @ River'sEDGE. Instructor: Tiffany @ 319-404-5453. Cost: $125 for 4 days per week or $75 for 2 days per week. Register with the Instructor in class.
- For up-to-date information concerning the facilities we run, the programs we offer and the classes we provide, please LIKE our FACEBOOK PAGES: https://www.facebook.com/indeeparksandrec/ https://www.facebook.com/riversedgesportfitness/ https://www.facebook.com/independenceaquaticcenter
- RV CAMPGROUND~ Open NOW- November 1st- Call 319-440-0472 to reserve your spot!!