Independence Parks & Rec. ~ Celebrate our spirit!
The Independence Parks and Recreation Department is a team of professionals committed to facilitating the growth and development of recreational opportunities, as well as managing the care and upkeep of park land in the Independence area. Through continued efforts, we will promote and improve our present activities and facilities to enrich the quality of life and pride in our community.
For UP-TO-DATE information regarding the Independence Parks & Recreation Department, our facilities, and programs/ classes we offer, please contact our office at 319-334-6711 or LIKE us on Facebook.
The youth and adult program information on this Parks & Recreation web page is updated yearly, so much of the information regarding programs, leagues, and clinics is consistent with our 2018 IPRD ACTIVITY GUIDE. Information on dates and times will be updated to reflect the 2019 Activity Guide in January 2019.
Falcon Civic Center HOURS
Winter- December 1st- March 31st
Monday- Thursday 5:00am- 9:00pm
Friday 5:00am- 8:00pm
Saturday 8:00am- 4:00pm
Sunday 12noon- 4:00pm
Monday- Thursday 3:45- 9:00pm
Saturday 10:00am- 4:00pm
Sunday 12:00pm- 5:00pm
Please call 319-332-1525 for information on memberships, classes and clinics offered, rental availability, and/or to reserve cages including HitTRAX.
It is our goal to ensure that EVERY child who would like to participate in the Parks & Rec programs we offer has every opportunity to do so. If you express a financial need and qualify under the State of Iowa Income Guidelines, you may be eligible for assistance. Please complete and submit the Financial Assistance Form (available at the Falcon Civic Center) along with a copy of your previous year's income tax return to the IPRD Director for approval. Approval takes place Monday- Friday from 8am-3:30pm and will take at least 1 business day to process. Please plan accordingly. Thank you.
Letters to Santa
The Independence Parks & Recreation Department has placed a very special mailbox at the Falcon Civic Center for children to drop their "Letters to Santa" in for delivery to the North Pole. All letters need to have a legible return address on them so Santa may respond with a letter sent back to the children. The mailbox will be at the Falcon Civic Center and "Letters to Santa" will be accepted from December 1st- 16th. Parent/ Children may also mail your letters to the following address and we will personally make sure they get to the North Pole:
Santa Claus/ c/o Falcon Civic Center/ 1305 5th Avenue NE, Independence, IA 50644
Independence Parks & Rec ~ In the Know ~
- 3RD & 4TH GRADE BOYS BASKETBALL- Games are played on Saturday mornings at the Falcon Civic Center Gym at 9:30am, 10:15am & 11:00am and the season will continue through December 15th. Please Note: Games will be played at the Independence West Elementary Gym on Saturday, December 8th due to the "JUst for Kids" Holiday Store being held at the Falcon Civic Center.
- KINDERGARTEN-1ST-2ND GRADE BASKETBALL CAMP- When: November 13th- December 4th/ 4 Tuesdays/ Instruction: 5:30-6:30pm & Open Gym 6:30-7pm. Where: Falcon Civic Center Gym. Instructors for this 4 night camp is Mr. Brad Shannon, Paige Benesh, Buzz Shannon & Andy Allen- A HUGE THANK YOU to all of them for giving so generously of their time and talents.
- ROCFIT: The next 6 week session will begin on Monday, 12/3 and class meets on Mondays- Thursdays at 4:30am at River'sEDGE. The cost for the entire 6-week session is $150 per person, the cost does reduce by $25 per week in case you are unable to commit to the entire 6-week of classes. Payment options are available... we do prorate, contact the Instructor, Tiffany, at 319-404-5453 or visit their website at www.roctrainingcenter.com
- AM Aerobics & Wednesday Wake-Up Workout: 5:45am- 6:30am at the Falcon Civic Center Gym/ Instructor: Janet Buls/ Cost: Wednesday Only is a $4 drop-in or M-W-F is $24 per month/ Mondays & Fridays will focus on flexibility & cardio. Wednesdays Wake-Up Workout will focus on strength & cardio/ Register at the Falcon Civic Center.
- Main's Peak Performance Tae Kwon Do is offered monthly at River'sEDGE. Classes meet on Mondays & Thursdays from 4:45-6:00pm. Our Instructor is Black Belt Tim Main. Cost is $30 per month for 1 child, $50 per month for 2 children and $70 per month for 3 children from the same family. The monthly fee is due by the 5th day of each month or a $4.00 fee will be charged per participant per time until the monthly fee has been settled.
- The 2019 Indee Bark Park Tags are HERE (at the Falcon Civic Center)... $25 per dog with proof of vaccinations!! $3.00 day passes are also available.
- For up-to-date information concerning the facilities we run, the programs we offer and the classes we provide, please LIKE our FACEBOOK PAGES: https://www.facebook.com/indeeparksandrec/ https://www.facebook.com/riversedgesportfitness/ https://www.facebook.com/independenceaquaticcenter