Independence Parks & Recreation Department
The Independence Parks and Recreation Department is a team of professionals committed to facilitating the growth and development of recreational opportunities, as well as managing the care and upkeep of park land in the Independence area. Through continued efforts, we will promote and improve our present activities and facilities to enrich the quality of life and pride in our community.
As of May 13th, 2020
In response to updated recommendations from the CDC, the Governor’s recent announcement and out of an abundance of caution, the City is announcing the following:
Governor Reynold’s Full Proclamation may be found at the link below in its entirety: https://governor.iowa.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Public%20Health%20Proclamation%20-%202020.05.13.pdf?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery
- As of May 1st, 2020- The Falcon Civic Center and River’sEDGE re-opened to public use at 50% of maximum capacity and with social distancing precautions and handwashing stations in place
- Falcon Civic Center Hours (opened on May 1st): Monday- Friday 5am- 8pm/ Saturday 10am- 4pm/ Sunday 12-4pm
- PLEASE NOTE: The Falcon Civic Center Weight Room will CLOSE from 2:30-3:30pm Monday- Friday for disinfecting, cleaning, and sanitizing
- Falcon Civic Center will be extending their current memberships 2 months; for example, if your membership was going to expire in May, it will now expire in July
- Falcon Civic Center: For any new members, we have the lowest rates in Buchanan County: 1 YEAR- Family $175/ Adult $130/ Student $100/ Senior $100// 6 MONTH- Family $100/ Adult $80/ Student $65/ Senior $65// 3 MONTH- Family $65/ Adult $50/ Student $40/ Senior $40 These memberships include weight room, gym, sauna, racquetball, locker room, and gameroom with social distancing guidelines in place
- Falcon Civic Center, to help insure continued safety for our patrons as well as our staff and follow social distancing guidelines; we will limit numbers with social distance... WEIGHT ROOM: 10 max at a time (No towels will be handed out, you may bring your own)/ GYM: 10 max at a time (No games, shooting only)/ RACQUETBALL COURTS: 2 max at a time/ SAUNA: 1 max at a time/ GAMEROOM: 2 max at a time/ FRONT DESK REGISTRATION: 2 max at a time
Please feel free to call ahead (319-334-6711) if you would like to check numbers using the facility before you make the trip in.
- River’sEDGE Hours (as of May 1st): Monday- Friday 12-8pm/ Saturday & Sunday 10am-4pm
- River’sEDGE Members w/ 24 Hour Access... your key fobs have been turned back on. Members: We are open and hope to see you soon! Reminder: If you bring a guest anytime ($3)/ If you bring a member (without a key fob) outside of staffed hours ($1)/ Remember to shut off lights when you are there outside of staffed hours/ If you need help on HitTrax or ProBatter please set a time for a refresher course! Thank you & Stay Safe.
- River’sEDGE- Must call ahead to reserve 319-332-1525, we will not accept drop-ins during staffed hours/ Only 3 max to a cage/ Must maintain social distance/ Must use own equipment (we will supply balls only)
- The Governor has announced that swimming pools are to remain closed thru May 27, 2020. At this point, we will NOT accept any swimming registrations until at least May 28th. We will follow the Governor’s Recommendations concerning the pool season. Thank you in advance for your cooperation and patience.
- We are currently accepting registrations for IPRD Summer Ball Leagues and we ENCOURAGE you to register your child NOW if he/she would like to play. IF the season runs, we need to be prepared and that takes time. It takes very little time at all to cancel the season if we need to. We will follow the Governor’s recommendations as they are presented and will give FULL refunds if the season does not happen. You may register at the Falcon Civic Center or we still have forms in the front vestibule at River’sEDGE and you may drop the form w/ payment in the drop slot at River’sEDGE.
- An informational letter detailing our current model for IPRD Summer Ball 2020 went in the mail to all 2019 Parks & Recreation Summer Ball Participants on Thursday, May 14th.
- We are still accepting Team Sponsors for the IPRD Little League Teams. Forms are available in the front vestibule at River’sEDGE and also at the Falcon Civic Center.
- All classes and groups must remain at 10 people or less. We will post on Facebook when fitness classes and programs will begin again. At this time, TKD is still canceled.
- IPRD Summer Ball Registrations w/ payment may be mailed to the Falcon Civic Center, 1305 5th Avenue NE, Independence, IA 50644 (Make checks payable to Independence Parks & Recreation) Click on IRPD Summer Ball under News & Announcements on the Home page of this website.
- As of May 1st, rentals at the Falcon Civic Center and River’sEDGE must be 10 or less people and social distancing must be maintained
- Open at this time while following the 6 feet social distance guidelines... Walking Trails, Complex (no groups over 10 people), All parks green spaces (no groups over 10 people), Basketball Courts (must maintain 6ft social distance, no pick up games, just shooting), Bark Park (no groups over 10 people), Triangle Park Pond (fishing, no groups over 10 people), Campground (no groups over 10 people), Boat Access
- As of May 15th, still CLOSED: Skate Park, Playgrounds & Swings in City Parks, Swimming Pools, No portable restrooms (UFN)
Staff at all locations will be available via the published phone numbers to assist you. Falcon Civic Center 319-334-6711 or 319-334-2606 & River’sEDGE 319-332-1525
Things continue to change and we will adapt as needed. Thank you for your patience & understanding. Please be sure to follow safety guidelines from Public Health and the CDC found on the City’s COVID-19 webpage. Updates will continue via the City’s social media outlets & website. http://independenceia.org/533/Coronavirus
Please Stay Safe
FOR YOUR INFORMATION... We continue to work towards making the necessary decisions concerning IPRD Summer Ball Leagues, Independence Aquatic Center, Summer Employment Opportunities, Playgrounds, and River’sEDGE Travel Teams. We ask that you continue to be patient, understanding and cooperative as we work to meet the ever changing guidelines set forth by the state to help slow the spread of COVID-19. We will keep you posted as adjustments and decisions are made. Thank you & we look forward to seeing you all again. Please Stay Safe
PLEASE READ... For UP-TO-DATE information regarding the Independence Parks & Recreation Department, our facilities & buildings, programs, leagues, special events, clinics & classes we offer, please contact our office at 319-334-6711 or LIKE US on Facebook. PLEASE NOTE: The Information on Google is NOT up-to-date information. FOR YOUR INFORMATION... If you are going to use Google as your search engine, please make sure you actually click on our links to obtain the most up-to-date information including hours of operation. Google does not accurately post our hours of operation or other valuable information. The Independence Parks & Recreation Department reserves the right to add, modify, postpone, or cancel programs, leagues, classes, special events, and facilities operation we offer due to weather conditions, equipment malfunction, lack of enrollment, and/or other circumstances.
The 2020 IPRD Activity Guide is available as a PDF here!!
We hope you enjoy it and find it full of valuable information.
ALWAYS WORKING TO IMPROVE...
The Parks & Recreation Department has been busy working on and planning for various improvement projects including: remodel of the Baseball/ Softball Complex concessions stand, addition of a 5th field at the Complex, painting and rearrangement of weight room, replacement of backstops at the 3rd Ward & 5th Ward Parks, addition of a playground at the Complex, additional batting cages have been added to River’sEDGE, 24 hour access key fob system installed at River’sEDGE, 4 permanent bags courts are now painted at River’sEDGE, modifications to add automatic ball feeders to various pitching machines at River’sEDGE, projection televisions have been added to River’sEDGE, a project to move cardio equipment into a remodeled racquetball court is in the beginning stages at the Falcon Civic Center, additional single movement pieces of weight equipment will be added to the weight room at the Falcon Civic Center, interior painting at the Falcon Civic Center, 24-Hour Access at the Falcon Civic Center in the next 12 months, clearing out overgrown trees and brushes in the Community Orchard was complete earlier this fall, trees are being trimmed, branches are being picked up and mowing has begun throughout the parks system. Thanks to all of the Parks & Rec Staff who have worked hard to get many projects done!! Stay tuned... more to come!!!
Falcon Civic Center HOURS
Monday Closed for deep cleaning
Tuesday- Thursday 5am- 8pm
Saturday 10am- 4pm
Sunday 12pm- 4pm
The Weight Room at the Falcon Civic Center will be closed from 1:30-2:30pm Monday- Friday for cleaning.
Please call 319-334-6711 Monday- Friday between 8am- 4pm to book room rentals at the Falcon Civic Center (Must be groups of 10 people or less). If you call outside of those hours, please leave your name and a contact phone number for our secretary, Judy. She will return your call.
Capacity Limits are in effect, please call ahead if you would like to check numbers.
Monday- Friday 12-8pm
Saturday 10am- 4pm
Must call ahead (319-332-1525) for cage rentals, no drop-ins during staffed hours
Must bring own equipment, we will supply balls only. No more than 3 people per cage and must maintain 6 feet of social distance
24-HOUR ACCESS NOW AVAILABLE at River’sEDGE with the purchase of membership!!! Call Lucas @ 319-332-1525 for details.
Please call 319-332-1525 for information on membership opportunities, classes, clinics, and lessons offered, rental availability, and/or to reserve cages including HitTRAX & ProBatter!!
Financial Assistance Opportunities...
It is our GOAL to ensure that EVERY child who would like to participate in the Parks & Rec programs we offer has every OPPORTUNITY to do so. If you express a financial need and qualify under the State of Iowa Income Guidelines, you may be eligible for assistance. Please complete and submit the Financial Assistance Form (available at the Falcon Civic Center) along with a copy of your previous year's income tax return to the IPRD Director for approval. Approval takes place Monday- Friday from 8am-3:30pm and will take at least 1 business day to process. Please plan accordingly. Thank you.
2020 IPRD Sponsorship Opportunities
- $125- Little League Team Sponsor
- $75- Logo on River’sEDGE Travel Team Banner
- $300- Complex Advertisement (Wrap on a 4’x8’ sign)
- $100- Complex Advertisement (RENEWAL)
- $150- Advertisement Banner at River’sEDGE (2’x3’)
- $75- Advertisement Banner at River’sEDGE (RENEWAL)
- $75- Logo on River’sEDGE Walking Track
- $50- Logo on River’sEDGE Walking Track (RENEWAL)
Forms available via email or by pick-up at the Falcon Civic Center and River’sEDGE. Email your request for a form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Information about Lifeguard Classes and 120 day recertification extensions may be found on the Iowa Parks & Recreation Association website or you may also find information on the American Red Cross website. At this point, the Aquatic Seasons are up in the air and waiting on recommendations from the Governor. We will not accept any swimming registrations until at least May 18th.
- Memberships at the Falcon Civic Center... MANY Options Available & we have the lowest rates around!!! One Year, 6 Month & 3 Month Memberships... Featuring: Weight Room, Sauna, Meeting Rooms, Gym w/ 6 basketball hoops, Locker Rooms, Racquetball Court, Kitchen, Cardio Equipment. Improvements have already begun and there are more to come including 24-Hour Access, Cardio Room, new paint, new flooring, additional weight machines, and some remodeling.
- River'sEDGE... Open as of May 1st, including 24-hour access available for members!! We have seen MANY improvements over the year including a new leak-proof roof, 3 additional cages to bring our total to 1,2,3,4a, 4b, 5a,5b, & 6 cages available for rent, projection televisions, ProBatter (pitching simulator), and a 24-Hour Access key fob system available for members. We have instructors available for private lessons, please call Lucas at 319-332-1525 and he can put you in touch with the right person. We have extended hours- 7 days per week... call ahead (319-332-1525), reserve a cage, and get some cuts in!!! Put the work in and get better!!
- We are currently accepting applications for SUMMER EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES with the Independence Parks & Recreation Department. Applications are available at the Falcon Civic Center. The City of Independence is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/Disability/Veteran
- Main's Peak Performance TaeKwonDo- As of May 1st- Still CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19- is offered monthly at River'sEDGE. Classes currently meet on Mondays & Thursdays from 4:45-6pm. Our Instructor is Black Belt, Tim Main. Cost is $30 per month for 1 child, $50 per month for 2 children and $70 per month for children from the same family. The monthly fee is due by the 5th day of each month or a $5.00 fee will be charged per participant per time until the monthly fee has been settled. Reminder: All participants must sign in at the front desk at River'sEDGE prior to each and every class attended. Thank you.
- Aerobics/ Strength & Conditioning- As of May 1st- Still CANCELLED due to COVID-19 Information with pricing about all of these classes is available by calling the IPRD at 319-334-6711. Classes are offered on various mornings & evenings throughout the week at the Falcon Civic Center and River'sEDGE. We are always looking for instructors to teach new and different fitness classes, If you have an idea or suggestion on what you would like to see offered, please contact the IPRD @ 319-334-6711.
- We are currently accepting registrations for IPRD Summer Ball Leagues (T-Ball, Coach-Pitch, Minors & Majors). Registration and payment is being accepted at the Falcon Civic Center and in we have a drop slot at River'sEDFE.
- For up-to-date information concerning the facilities we run, the programs we offer and the classes we provide, please LIKE our FACEBOOK PAGES: https://www.facebook.com/indeeparksandrec/ https://www.facebook.com/riversedgesportfitness/ https://www.facebook.com/independenceaquaticcenter