Independence Aquatic Center
Progress on the NEW Independence Aquatic Center!!!
- On Monday, May 2nd, 2016 the ground breaking for the NEW Independence Aquatic Center took place. The NEW Aquatic Center will feature 8,565 square foot of surface area, zero depth entry with slide and water features, six 25 meter racing lanes, a float-able water walk, party shelter, 1 meter diving board, two tower water slides, a drop slide, ADA lift, shade structures, new bath house with full concessions stand.
- Portzen Construction out of Dubuque, Iowa started digging the diving well for the NEW Aquatic Center on Monday, May 16th, 2016 on the site (located where the south wing the of the old Independence High School sat).
- As of the end of 2016, "Cans for the Pool" has raised a total of $2061.15 for the NEW Independence Aquatic Center!! Thank you to everyone who has donated... let's keep this going!! Visit Nickelback and/or Pop-A-Top in Independence TODAY & make your donation count!!
- On June 8th, a meeting was held to determine colors to be used in the NEW Aquatic Center. 1st concrete pour was done on 6/29/2016.
- Concrete Pour #3 was done on 7/1/2016 and Pour #2 was done on 7/6/2016
- Final pours on the pool floors will be completed by the end of August. Pours will begin on the pool walls in September. The mason has laid one row of block on the bath house and colored concrete will be poured in September.
- A huge thank you Norma Gates, her family, and her helpers... the Best Ever Garage Sale raised $1,960.00!!! The money raised will be used on the Party Shelter in the New Aquatics Center.
- A huge thank you goes out to Blake Hayward and his drone, "Wilbur", for the overhead views of the pool progress.
- The Pool has passed it's leak test and has been filled for the winter (per Engineer's instruction).
- Slides are assembled and final touches will be added in the spring.
- Bath house and mechanical building are fully enclosed and interior work is underway.
- Excavating has begun (Week of December 5th).
- Footings for the Party Shelter were poured the week of December 12th.
- The siding is complete on the mechanical building and the bath house.
- January 2017- Windows have been added to the front of the bath house.
Thank you to all who have donated to the NEW Independence Aquatic Center!! If you would like to make a donation to the NEW Independence Aquatic Center, donation forms are available at the Falcon Civic Center and River'sEDGE.
2017 Independence Aquatic Center SeasonBarring potential set backs, we are anticipating the NEW Aquatic Center's Season to run Saturday, May 27th- Sunday, August 20th.
Aquatic Center Hours of Operation (Anticipated Season: May 27- August 20)
Open Swim 12- 6pm
Open Swim 6:30- 8:00pm
Saturday & Sunday
Open Swim 12- 6pm
DAILY ADMISSION FEES:
Student (5-18 years of age) $2.00
Youth (under 5 years of age) $1.00
No Refunds, even if the Aquatic Center Closed Early!!
Purchase Aquatic Center Season Passes at the Falcon Civic Center from April 1st- May 26th and at the Aquatic Center as of May 27th, 2017.
WITHIN CITY LIMITS RATE (determined by valid driver's license)
Student (5-18 years of age) $60.00
Youth (under 5 years of age) $40.00
Senior Citizen (60 yrs or older) $60.00
OUT OF CITY LIMITS RATE
Student (5-18 years of age) $70.00
Youth (under 5 years of age) $50.00
Senior Citizen (60 yrs or older) $70.00
Family Aquatic Center Season Pass Requirements:
1. Family Members defines as those claimed on your taxes & reside at the same address.
2. You may add 1 day-care provider/ babysitter to your pool membership for an additional $10.00.
Aquatic Center Closure InformationMay be obtained by calling the Aquatic Center @ 319-334-7464 or Parks & Recreation Department @ 319-334-6711. Information will also be posted here and on the Independence Parks & Recreation Department Facebook Page.
Aquatic Center Closure Policies- The Aquatic Center may CLOSE early for any one or more of the following reasons:
1. Air Temperature falls below 70 degrees and/ or less than 20 swimmers in the water for 2 hours.
2. Threatening weather in the area.
3. Scheduled special events, for example home swim meets.